Hello Stamping Friends,
Hostess Code through September 15: WKQ6CJ7R
Stock up on stamps before August 29 when prices go up! Thanks for the reminder, Joy!
August club cards will be posted separately on this blog so the post is shorter, so check the next post for the Shaded Summer partial die cutting and shaded stamping card.
Before we go to the card let’s look at what is happening this month at Stampin’ Up!
We have a sneak peak of September Paper Pumpkin:
I prepay for a three month subscription to Paper Pumpkin and then activate it now for the September, October and November kits. Even when one of the kits was Christmas tags, I made cards from the tags and had a nice addition to my Christmas cards. I don’t always use the treat boxes in the September kit but this kit will have instructions to turn the box into a wheelbarrow and we can put our pumpkins, apples and jack-o-lanterns in the wheelbarrow for a nice end table decoration. Love it! Click the image above to go to the Paper Pumpkin site or place an order for a prepaid subscription and then activate it whenever you choose. PS – Don’t add your credit card info when you have a prepaid plan, just enter the code they sent to your email.
Thanks, Sal, for throwing in that tidbit for getting the most for your dollars. Sale A Bration runs through the end of September with the opportunity to buy $50 and get a level one product for free or buy $100 and get a level 2 product for free. Here’s another look at the brochure:
More details HERE.
Sea Life Dies With A Background Of Alcohol Ink On Vellum
This card and technique were inspired by Patty Bennett.
Here is a youtube video for you:
- Base: Just Jade, 4 1/4 X 11, scored at 5 1/2
- Layer 1 (X2): Misty Moonlight, 4 1/8 X 5 3/8
- Layer 2 (X2): Basic White, 4 X 5 1/4
- Cardstock Vellum: 4 1/4 X 6 (This gives you 3/4″ to trim off after creating your background and 1/4 for trimming edges)
- Double Back Adhesive Sheet: 41/4 X 6
- Front Greeting: Basic White, 2 1/2 X 3/4 (I used a ‘Many Messages’ greeting)
- Seahorse: Blue Ombre Specialty Paper, 4X2
- Note: you will need to fussy cut two tiny sections on the belly and two sections around the fin since this is a partial die
- Fish (X3): Blue Ombre Specialty Paper, 1 1/2 X 2
- Seahorse Backing: Be Dazzling SAB specialty paper, 4 X 2
- Note: Cover the back of your 4 X 2 Be Dazzling paper with scotch tape before die cutting
- Seaweed: Evening Evergreen Shimmer Vellum, 3 X 2 1/2
- Easel (X2): Misty Moonlight, 2 3/4 X 4, score at 2 3/8 and 1 5/8 and then cut with largest hippo die lining up the middle
- Stampin’ Blends Alcohol Markers: Lt Misty Moonlight, Lt Night of Navy, Dk Shaded Spruce, Dk Night of Navy
- Ink: Shaded Spruce
- Tools: Sea Life Dies, Messages Die, Hippo Die for Easel, Medium Tip Water Painter, Basic Black Journaler to dot the eyes
- 91% Alcohol
- Stamp Sets: Many Messages, Friends Are Like Seashells
- Embellishments: Three Basic Rhinestones
To make an alcohol ink on vellum background – Prepare your surface. I have a thin plastic quilting sheet I use.
- Place a piece of copy paper underneath your vellum to soak up the excess that hits the edges of the vellum
- Use a small container with a little alcohol in it for dipping your Water Painter
- Have a paper towel next to the container to clean the Water Painter often so you don’t mix colors
- Scribble on your vellum:
Place your copier paper under the vellum and dab alcohol one color at a time on the vellum. Be generous with the alcohol and dab starting with all the Light Misty Moonlight scribbles, then Light Night of Navy, Dark Shaded Spruce and ending by dabbing all the Dark Night of Navy scribbles. Use your breath or a straw to blow the alcohol so the colors blend. Blow any excess build up off the edges so you don’t get a solid line at the sides.
Add additional scribbles if you have areas that are ‘blah’ and repeat.
When you are pleased with the result make it a “wow” by dipping your clean brush in the alcohol and then flick the brush on your finger, staying about 6″ over the vellum. For small bubbles use just a little alcohol and stay a good distance over the vellum, for large bubbles use a little more alcohol in the brush and be closer to the vellum. Scroll back up to my card front and you will see I have pretty large bubbles and then as the alcohol in the brush ran out the bubbles are smaller.
Let the vellum dry or use the lightest setting on the heat gun to dry the vellum.
Attach the vellum to the double back adhesive sheet, trim to 4″ X 6″ and then cut 3/4″ off the bottom for an inside strip. You should have a 4″ X 5 1/4″ to mount on the Basic White by removing the other side of the double back adhesive. If you have trouble attaching it squarely to the Basic White just trim the edges after attaching as needed.
The rest of the construction is pretty basic. I used Tombow liquid glue to attach the seahorse blue top to the Be Dazzling paper. Before popping up the seahorse with dimensionals I attached the seaweed at the bottom in just a few places with Tombow glue and then wrapped the seahorse around the left branch I left unattached. The seahorse, fish and greeting are all popped up with dimensionals. Don’t forget to dot little black eyes on the seahorse and fish with the Basic Black Journaler. Since the fish are popped up, the eyes seem to follow you as you move the card – cute!
I guess they’ll just have to make one to see if it’s true.
Remember to add your three rhinestones for more bubbles!
Lastly I added my new type of Easel to the back of the card using the largest of the Hippo Dies. I cut two and glued them together for a little extra strength since the front was pretty heavy.
I would love to see what you make using this technique. Post a picture in the comments section!
These dies are beautiful! Jo Brooks used the large fish die and the ‘Whale Of A Time’ designer series paper to create this card:
Thank you, Jo!
And thank you for spending part of your day with me! I hope we have been able to bring you a pinch of creativity to spice up your crafting life!
Shop for these products now by clicking on little Sal in the computer!
Hostess Code through September 15: WKQ6CJ7R
SAL, Stamp A Lot, Smile A Little